Treating water with respect
Installed Capacity (m3/hr)
Megalitres of water treated per year
Kilolitres Oil Collected per year
Ultraspin is an engineering company that specialises in the design and supply of high performance oily water separation systems. Our sole focus is oily water which is why we have a high degree of specialist knowledge in all forms of water contaminated with oil, fats and grease across many industries. Ultraspin invented the use of hydrocyclones in Industrial oil water separation systems and most of our systems use this technology. We export to many parts of the world including Southern Africa, Asia and Europe. We are the largest oily water equipment supplier in Australia.
- Ultraspin employees have been designing and supplying high performance oil water treatment systems for over 35 years.
- In 1983 our Engineers designed the worlds first oily water separators using de-oiling hydrocyclones. These systems became standard practice world wide for treating produced water on off-shore oil and gas production platforms.
- In 1993 Ultraspin developed the worlds first industrial oil water treatment system using hydrocyclones. Theses industrial systems incorporated our patented technology that included oil skimmers, separators, strainers and oil collection tanks.
- Based on our philosophy of continual improvement we have racked up an impressive number of ‘firsts’ with our separator technology.
- 1993 worlds first cyclone based oil water treatment system used on Oil Company fuel depots and petrol gas stations.
- 1994 first cyclone based system treating Mining Industry oil water effluent.
- 1995 worlds first cyclone based oil water removal system in the Dairy Industry.
- 1996 first cyclone system treating Meat Industry effluent water allowing tallow and fat recovery.
Engineering and Production
Our production facilities and office are located in Wadhurst Drive, Boronia. Our facilities provide areas for warehousing and parts storage, light and heavy assembly as well equipment maintenance and repair. All equipment we manufacture is tested in our wet testing bay prior to delivery.
Ultraspin’s team of employees are experienced and knowledgeable in oil water treatment. Oily water is a highly specialised area of the water treatment industry and Ultraspin is fortunate to have Engineers with an average of over 10 years experience in this industry alone. We have qualified Engineers in all all major disciplines including Mechanical, Chemical and Environmental Engineering. This technical capability is spread across all company activities including Sales, Applications Engineering, Field Support, Production, Process design and ongoing Research and Development.
Design and Drawing Office
All Ultraspin products are designed in house. We have advanced capability using AutoCad, Solidworks and Inventor. This capability enables us to produce a wide variety of drawings including production of schematics, Process Flow Diagrams (PFD), Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), Isometrics and piping layouts, Structural designs, Site Layout Drawings, General Arrangements 2D and 3D, and a variety of Electrical Drawing. We are experienced and proficient in the design of equipment skids, structures, piping systems, and pressure vessels to a wide variety of international and client specific standards. We have modern office facilities that caters for 40 office employees.
Analytical and Test Facilites
Oil Water Laboratory
Located in our factory we have a dedicated purpose built oily water laboratory. In this laboratory we are able to carry out a variety of accurate, high level oil water analysis including:
- Oil and Grease TOG/TPH analysis to ASTM D7066
- Particle size analysis using Jorin Visual Process Analyser
- Fat and oil concentration determination
- Suspended solids analysis to ASTM D5907
- Microscopic analysis
- Along with the typical laboratory measurements such as pH and temperature
The equipment we have available includes:
- Visual process particle sizer (5 to 200 micron). Can distinguish oil, solids and gas
- Malvern droplet particle sizer (5 to 200 micron)
- Motic B1 Microscope 4x to 100x magnification
- Laboratory Centrifuge up to 4000g
- Laboratory dehydrating oven up to 200ᵒC
- Infrared hydrocarbon absorbance analyser
Oily Water Test Facilities
We test all equipment in our factory prior to delivery. It is a wet facility that can generate oil water mixtures of known oil droplet size in real time. This wet area is used for formal Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT’s) of our equipment. It can also be used for performance testing according to the comprehensive ANSI oily water test protocol standards, and we can test to the free oil recovery European EN-858 standards. We also use this area for ongoing research and development.
We have capability to test to the following standards:
- Oily water performance testing standards; ASTM: American standard (ASTM D 6104-97) or European EN-858
- Clean Water Flow: 50 m3/hr
- Oily Water Flow: 15 m3/hr
- Oil Droplet Micron Size: 10 to 300 micron
- Oil Types: Free, emulsified, dissolved and heavy oil
- Oil Density: All types of oil with density range 700 to 950 kg/m3
Meet some of our Employees
In 1980, Gavan graduated from Melbourne University with a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering Honours degree.
With over 35 years of experience in the oily water industry, Gavan also has extensive knowledge and experience in a variety of industries such as Mining, Oil and Gas and Food Processing.
In 1983, Gavan designed the world’s first industrial oily water treatment system using hydrocyclones to treat water and help create a cleaner environment.
It is Gavan’s passion for the environment and desire to help others, that drives him and the Ultraspin team work to achieve better environmental outcomes!
Melissa graduated from Melbourne University with a Bachelor of Science and Chemical Engineering
With 10 years of experience in the oily water industry, Melissa is our Ultraspin Sales Manager!
Melissa manages all our equipment sales and service, including exports and our distributor networks!
Engineering and Production Manager
In 1991 Ivano graduated from RMIT with an Honours degree in Chemical Engineering. He has been a part of the Ultraspin engineering team for over 16 years now!
As our Engineering Manager, Ivano leads the construction of Ultraspin’s oily water separators. He has also designed more hydrocyclone oily water separators than anyone in the world (over 1000)!
In 2013 Nicole graduated from Monash University with a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree.
She has over 10 years of experience in customer service and 7 years of experience in the oily water industry. Nicole completed her MBA at the Melbourne Business School in 2018.
Nicole also runs the service and spare departments including the servicing and commissioning of our oily water treatment systems.
She also manages our Ultraspin Internship Program!
Alex graduated from a Mechanical Engineering degree at RMIT in 2015 and joined the Ultraspin team in 2017.
As our Applications Engineer, Alex focuses on solving oily water problems for our customers, through detailed analysis of the problem at hand!
Alex also goes on-site for specialist services as well as providing maintenance training to our customers who choose to service our systems themselves!
Field Service Engineer
Christian graduated from Melbourne University with a Masters in Chemical Engineering (Honours) in 2013
In his role, Christian looks after servicing and after sales support for our systems
Lyle joined the Ultraspin team in 2017 after graduating from a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree at Monash University.
As Ultraspin’s Design Engineer, Lyle uses computer-aided design software to develop, test and improve Ultraspin’s manufacturing processes and product designs.
Lyle also oversees the Ultraspin lab, conducting performance testing to ensure all of our treatment systems can do what we say they can!