Treating water with respect
Installed Capacity (m3/hr)
Megalitres of water treated per year
Milllion Litres of Oil Collected per Year
Ultraspin is an engineering company that specialises in the design and supply of high performance oily water separation systems. Our sole focus is oily water which is why we have a high degree of specialist knowledge in all forms of water contaminated with oil, fats and grease across many industries.
Ultraspin invented the use of hydrocyclones in industrial oil water separation systems, with most of our systems using this technology. We export to many parts of the world including Southern Africa, Asia and Europe. We are the largest oily water equipment supplier in Australia.
- Ultraspin employees have been designing and supplying high performance oil water treatment systems for over 35 years.
- In 1983 our Engineers designed the worlds first oily water separators using de-oiling hydrocyclones. These systems became standard practice world wide for treating produced water on off-shore oil and gas production platforms.
- In 1993 Ultraspin developed the worlds first industrial oil water treatment system using hydrocyclones. Theses industrial systems incorporated our patented technology that included oil skimmers, separators, strainers and oil collection tanks.
- Based on our philosophy of continual improvement we have racked up an impressive number of ‘firsts’ with our separator technology.
- 1993 worlds first cyclone based oil water treatment system used on Oil Company fuel depots and petrol gas stations.
- 1994 first cyclone based system treating Mining Industry oil water effluent.
- 1995 worlds first cyclone based oil water removal system in the Dairy Industry.
- 1996 first cyclone system treating Meat Industry effluent water allowing tallow and fat recovery.
Meet the Team
Gavan Prendergast - B.Eng (Hons)
In 1980, Gavan graduated from Melbourne University with a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering Honours degree.
Gavan has 35 years of experience in the oily water industry, spending an extensive amount of time living and working in America and England as well as working in South Africa, Africa and Asia! As a result, Gavan has a plethora of knowledge and experience in a variety of industries such as Mining, Oil and Gas and Food Processing.
In 1983, Gavan designed the world’s first industrial oily water treatment system using hydrocyclones, to treat water and help create a cleaner environment.
It is Gavan’s passion for the environment and desire to help others, that drives him and the Ultraspin team work to achieve better environmental outcomes!
Melissa Keatley - B.Sc/B.Eng (Hons)
Melissa graduated from Melbourne University with a Bachelor of Science and Chemical Engineering.
With 10 years of experience in the oily water industry, Melissa is our Ultraspin Sales Manager!
Melissa manages our equipment sales and service, including exports and distributor networks!
Ivano Simonetto - B.Eng (Hons)
Engineering and Production Manager
Ivano graduated from RMIT with an Honours degree in Chemical Engineering in 1991. He has been a part of the Ultraspin engineering team for over 16 years now!
As our Engineering Manager, Ivano leads the construction of Ultraspin’s oily water separators and the production team.
A true leader and valued member of our team, Ivano has designed more hydrocyclone oily water separators than anyone else in the world!
Nicole Tournas - B.Eng (Hons)/MBA
Nicole graduated from Monash University with a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree in 2013.
Nicole completed her MBA at the Melbourne Business School in 2018. As part of her Masters, Nicole went on an exchange program which saw her studying in South Africa!
She has over 10 years of experience in customer service and 7 years of experience in the oily water industry.
Nicole runs the service and spare departments including the servicing and commissioning of our oily water treatment systems.
She also manages our Ultraspin Internship Program which gives student engineers, real life, industry experience!
Christian Spangenberg - B.Sc/M.Eng
Christian was born in Germany and moved to Australia with his family at the age of 5.
He graduated from Melbourne University with a Masters in Chemical Engineering in 2014.
Christian first began as our Field Service Engineer, looking after servicing and after sales support for our Ultraspin systems.
He currently brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise to our engineering team as our Product Specialist.
Lyle Prendergast - B.Eng
Lyle joined the Ultraspin team in 2017 after graduating from a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree at Monash University.
As Ultraspin’s Design Engineer, Lyle uses computer-aided design software to develop, test and improve Ultraspin’s manufacturing processes and product designs.
Lyle also oversees the Ultraspin lab, conducting performance testing to ensure all of our treatment systems can do what we say they can!
Alex Williams - B.Eng
Alex graduated from a Mechanical Engineering degree at RMIT in 2015 and joined the Ultraspin team in 2017.
As our Applications Engineer, Alex works to achieve successful outcomes for our customers with oily water problems!
He also goes on-site for specialist services and provides maintenance training to our customers who choose to service our systems themselves!
Arman Mehrsa (Ari) - B.Eng/M.Eng
Senior Sales Engineer
Ari was born in the Middle East and studied there before moving to Australia and completing his Masters of Mechanical Engineering at the University of NSW in 2012.
With over 8 years of experience in Sales Engineering, Ari works closely with key Ultraspin customers, building a rapport with consultants and end users.
Ari is forward thinking and continually looks at ways we can improve our customers experience!
Jessica Auld - B.Com
Jessica studied a Bachelor of Arts (Public Relations) at Deakin University. In 2018, Jess joined the Ultraspin team as our Office Manager!
Jess is the first point of contact at Ultraspin and chances are, if you have called our number, you have spoken to Jess!
Her role also consists of liaising with our suppliers, helping organise the service department and processing and dispatching spare part orders.
Engineering and Production
Our production facilities and office are located in Wadhurst Drive, Boronia. Our facilities provide areas for warehousing and parts storage, light and heavy assembly as well equipment maintenance and repair. All equipment we manufacture is tested in our wet testing bay prior to delivery.
Ultraspin’s team of employees are experienced and knowledgeable in oil water treatment. Oily water is a highly specialised area of the water treatment industry and Ultraspin is fortunate to have Engineers with an average of over 10 years experience in this industry alone. We have qualified Engineers in all all major disciplines including Mechanical, Chemical and Environmental Engineering. This technical capability is spread across all company activities including Sales, Applications Engineering, Field Support, Production, Process design and ongoing Research and Development.
Design and Drawing Office
All Ultraspin products are designed in house. We have advanced capability using AutoCad, Solidworks and Inventor. This capability enables us to produce a wide variety of drawings including production of schematics, Process Flow Diagrams (PFD), Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), Isometrics and piping layouts, Structural designs, Site Layout Drawings, General Arrangements 2D and 3D, and a variety of Electrical Drawing. We are experienced and proficient in the design of equipment skids, structures, piping systems, and pressure vessels to a wide variety of international and client specific standards. We have modern office facilities that caters for 40 office employees.
Analytical and Test Facilites
Oil Water Laboratory
Located in our factory we have a dedicated purpose built oily water laboratory. In this laboratory we are able to carry out a variety of accurate, high level oil water analysis including:
- Oil and Grease analysis
- Total Petroleum Hydrocarbon (TPH) Analysis
- Particle size analysis using Visual Process Analyser
- Fat and oil concentration determination
- Suspended solids analysis to ASTM D5907
- Microscopic analysis
- Turbidity Determination
- Surface Finish Measurement
- Conductivity Measurement
- Total Dissolved Solids
- Along with the typical laboratory measurements such as pH and temperature
The equipment we have available includes:
- Visual process particle sizer (5 to 200 micron). Can distinguish oil, solids and gas
- Malvern droplet particle sizer (5 to 200 micron)
- Motic B1 Microscope 4x to 100x magnification
- Laboratory Clemence 2000 Centrifuge up to 4000g
- Laboratory dehydrating oven up to 200ᵒC
- Infrared hydrocarbon absorbance analyser
- Kern high accuracy scales ±0.1mg
- TR200 Surface Roughness Tester, detect roughness as little as 0.2 micron
- SPI Surface Texture Comparison Kit
- Endecotts Calibrated Test Seives, from 125mm to 20 microns
- Density Hydrometer, 0.7g/mL to 1.1g/mL
- Imhoff Cones, % of Wet Solids
- Turbidity Tubes, NTU
- Range of Specialised Glassware
Oily Water Test Facilities
We test all equipment in our factory prior to delivery. It is a wet facility that can generate oil water mixtures of known oil droplet size in real time. This wet area is used for formal Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT’s) of our equipment. It can also be used for performance testing according to the comprehensive ANSI oily water test protocol standards, and we can test to the free oil recovery European EN-858 standards. We also use this area for ongoing research and development.
We have capability to test to the following standards:
- Oily water performance testing standards; ASTM: American standard (ASTM D 6104-97) or European EN-858
- Clean Water Flow: 50 m3/hr
- Oily Water Flow: 15 m3/hr
- Oil Droplet Micron Size: 10 to 300 micron
- Oil Types: Free, emulsified, dissolved and heavy oil
- Oil Density: All types of oil with density range 700 to 950 kg/m3