Ultraspin are the preferred and trusted suppliers to major mining companies in both greenfield and brownfield sites in Australia for oily water treatment solutions.
Will Ultraspin oily water separators cope with a harsh mining environment?
Tough, robust and built to last, Ultraspin separators are a powerful ally in wastewater treatment
Our team of oily water engineering experts will provide their knowledge in many areas of project development, from what to look for when assessing oily water requirements on a new site, through to detailed design and supply of solutions.
Why are Ultraspin systems so popular with mining companies?
Our systems offer powerful robust oil separator designs backed by unparalleled experience and knowledge.
- Modular design – easy deployment and upgradable as discharge requirements change
- Rugged design – constructed to withstand the toughest environmental conditions – it’s built to last!
- Integrated controls – incorporate into site monitoring systems with in-built shutdown to protect pumps
- Remote monitoring (optional) – get immediate alerts when your discharge is at risk of non-compliance
- Large oil storage tanks included – collect large volumes of oil to decrease collection frequency
- Large, oversized, heavy duty debris strainer included – easy to operate and clean. Large capacity giving long intervals between emptying the strainer basket
Typical oily water sources within Mining operations include:
- Heavy and light vehicle washbays
- Lube bays
- Fuel storage areas
- Refuelling bays
Mining Operations that have these facilities include:
- Mine and mine site processing facilities
- Mineral processing
- On site power stations
- Rail services
- Port facilities
Ultraspin Installations: BHP Mount Whaleback
A large iron ore mine in the Pilbara in remote Western Australia, BHP had an aging gravity and skimming system that was struggling to meet environmental requirements.
The separator needed to treat oily water from:
- HV and LV Workshop
- HV and LV Wash Bay
- Fuel Storage
Ultraspin built a 100m3/hr separator to BHP’s specifications. This equipment was commissioned by our engineers in 2015.
Site testing demonstrated that the Ultraspin system was performing extremely well, removing a lot of oil and meeting stringent environmental discharge standards of 15mg/L Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons.
Comparison of the cleanliness of the outlet sample from the Ultraspin system (left) to the incoming oily water (right) shows the power of the Ultraspin system!
As the Australian mining landscape ebbs and flows, Ultraspin works with you to develop new mine site design or find the best solution for mine site upgrades to ensure full compliance.
- Evaluating and selecting oily water technology
- Writing scope of works
- Compiling specifications
- Completing design of oily water treatment system
- Completing design of surrounding infrastructure – e.g. pits, sumps
How we can help:
- Conducting seminars on oily water science for your project/design team
- Assistance with writing scope of works
- Assistance with writing specifications based on oily water expertise
- Providing evaluation criteria to effectively compare oily water solutions
- Completing design of effective oily water treatment system
- Providing recommendations on pit/sump design
- source a separator to treat oily water to the specified standards
- find a low cost option
- a solution that is easily incorporated into your existing infrastructure
How Ultraspin can help:
- Site audits and testing
- Customised system design that is ‘plug and play’ for your site
- Assess and recommend improvements to re-use or discharge practices
With the Ultraspin Oily Water Separator, your wastewater will be cleaned quickly and efficiently.
How does the Ultraspin oily water separator remove the oils?
Oily water is pumped into a precisely engineered tapered pipe, creating a vortex generating 1,000 times the force of gravity. Under such force the heavier water is pushed to the outer edge of the vortex and discharged from the the smaller end while the lighter oil moves to the centre of the vortex and dispelled from the broader end.
It has no moving parts, rarely needs cleaning, works much faster than gravity, and is powerful enough to treat even 15 micron oil droplets!
Find out more about Ultraspin separators
There is one thing you must know before choosing an oily water separator: what size oil droplets do you have?
It is a fundamental question, as it will determine what micron rating you require and therefore which separator type will be suitable for your application.